Tuesday 17 January 2012

Martyrdom of Two teenage heroes


Click below to read complete news:

My View

The front page of last Saturday’s Times of India, with the header of colourful kites flying near, what seemed to be Sabarmati’s view from somewhere near Gandhi Ashram, seemed to be greetings of Uttrayan, make the kites of my thought fly way out of reach.
On one hand I could see the controversial decision of Indian Govt.’s agreement to prosecute Google, Facebook, Yahoo and 18 other, and on the other hand the low morale of Dhoni’s men, knows as world champions, going through their worst in test matches since 1968. Such will be written about the issue of prosecuting websites and even more about the World Cricket Champions.
Till this time the kite of my mind was in my control and was flying high without much effort from my side. Modi-Jaya meet seemed just another step in the politics’ new found tradition of treating friends and foes with equal fervour. Air India pilots were on strike but Uttrayan kites seemed to make up for it.
But then the thread which had held my thoughts just slipped from my hand just like a puja thali falling from the hands of a religious person due to sudden shock.
The news of the incident near Shahibaug was like an explosion that made me let go the thread. I no longer wanted to hold my thoughts in control. I read it once. I read it twice. I read it thrice. The feeling that went through me was like everything was falling apart.
The act of volunteering to save a bird had taken lives of two young and, not to mention, BRAVE teenagers. Akash Rajput & Sambhu Desai,  being members of Sanjeevani nature group, which is the part of the forest department’s initiative were trying to save a bird entangled in manjha (kite thread) and stuck on a tree. I read the news again and again to find what was their educational qualifications to find if it was an accident or lack of knowledge, that made the duo use  an iron pipe. As they has also tried to climb the tree before using the rod and, what you may call fate, took a different turn and made them use an iron rod, according to me is also a failure of forest department and the Nature group for not training or give proper guidance and support their volunteers.
This news might be forgotten in a few days and might be called and accident, as it always happen, however Akash and Sambhu proved that they were no less than our heroes fighting on the borders.
Protecting a life is a very noble cause according to all faiths and cultures and giving up one’s own life in order to save another is even nobler. At the age of just 18 years they proved their conviction and became martyrs while saving a bird, which according to them (and me), was no less than a Human’s life.
I would urge the state and central government to confer them with bravery award for one of the bravest deed one could dream of.

Regards,
Rudra Kapalin

No comments:

Post a Comment